Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Addiction Recovery Program

i keep telling myself I will start to blog my presentations, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
So much to do!!
;)

Anyway.
My daughter and BoBo photobombed our presenter pic 😆 



Tonight I got to speak about my passion, the Addiction Recovery Program which I kinda wish was just called The Recovery Program. Basically we all have weaknesses and need the healing power of Christ. 

I am so lucky to have experienced the real blessings of these meetings, and the friendships that are made with others also seeking support. We are all we have for one another in this life. We must help one another, bear each other's burdens, mourn with those who mourn. 
I remember the first time I attended an ARP meeting. I was 20. It was the Family Support Group meeting and my ex husband was in the other addiction meeting. I cried the whole time, sobbed really. I didn't want to participate or read. I just sat there and wondered, "What am I going to do?"

It's amazing that the Addiction Recovery program is free, and that the spouse or family support groups are available and free, too. These meetings literally change lives.

This program offers help, support groups, and tools to heal broken hearts, beat addictions, and form solutions to living a happier, more peaceful, sober, bright life!! Bill Wilson, founder of Alcoholics Anonymous was inspired by his spiritual experience, on the brink of death and bound by the chains of addiction. His friend had previously been a drinker, and after a spiritual experience, became sober. This friend encouraged Bill to have a spiritual experience. Bill prayed in desperation for God to send him a sign, and Bill received this sign in his hospital room while laying in bed. His compulsion to drink immediately left him and he never drank again. This is a miracle. If you knew Bill's story and how long he suffered from addiction, you would no doubt agree. Bill knew that he had to help others. He also knew that for some it would be impossible to beat their addiction UNLESS they had a spiritual experience of their own. He created the 12 Steps of AA. 

With special permission, the LDS church used these steps to form the ARP for all kinds of addicts, the family members, and anyone desiring the power of Christ's atonement to heal their lives. To me, it is critical to incorporate God and Jesus into the recovery process. Some pains and problems are so beyond the help of man. We really do NEED god's power to heal us, and Christ's atonement was meant for just that. It was meant to save us from our sins, but also to heal us from our wounds. I would never have been able to quit drinking without a miracle similar to Bill's. In the coming weeks I promise I will eventually post more of my notes from my presentations, but I also hope many of you will attend the Addiction Recovery meetings or even the events I present at.

I love this volunteer work. And I am always enriched by the people who come up to me after to share their own stories. Thank you for changing me for the better!
For more information on the program itself, visit ARP.lds.org

They hold meetings globally, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
.
#arp #addictionrecoveryprogram #addiction #recovery #addictionrecovery #publicspeaker #brittanyshannon #ldsdiversity #Christ #God #hope #healing #faith #motivation #volunteer #volunteerwork #love #changinglives