Monday, October 10, 2016

52 Weeks of Gratitude: Week 39

Week 39 of the 52 Weeks of Gratitude.Challenge is Heritage!


We are one week closer to the end of the year. This time of year is full of holidays and birthdays, including mine and my husband's! I'm not a fan of winter, so it's a good thing all these festivities can carry me through. 

This week I'm sharing about my heritage. My moms side of the family is from Norway. I can't be 100% sure, but I was told that my lineage came from royalty. My great grandma moved here from Norway and I loved listening to her talk about her childhood. She remembers WWII and the Great Depression. She also spoke Norwegian. I wish I knew the language, but I do know a few little words. 

I pretty much like to repeat the fact that we came from a line of royalty. How cool would that have been to live over there and been a royal in Norway? I've always had this fascination for Vikings and that really tough breed of people. 

I've never been there, but the pictures I've seen of Norway are stunning. I think it would be super cool one day to visit. Here are just a couple of fun facts that I know about Norwegians:

We make and eat crum kaker (pronounced Croom Cocker) It is kind of like a waffle cone for ice cream that you make from scratch in a special crum kaker iron and then roll into a cone. You make a creamy strawberry filling and stuff the cone.
Norwegians have tan skin.
This is strange when you compare the geographical location of Norway to the neighboring countries and the typical pale skin. Most Norwegians have a nice beige tan year round. It's totally natural. They get an even darker tan in the sun. I remember my great grandma having skin darker than mine when she passed away. 
Norwegians also eat "fish balls" and Lutefisk. My mom made them once for us growing up. Keyword: once.

I'm grateful for the knowledge I have of this side of my family and hopefully one day I can visit Norway!
Brittany Shannon