Monday, October 13, 2014

Be Part of a Cause: World Food Day

The people who know me the best know of a phrase I use frequently.

"There are starving children in Africa."

Nat geo recently posted a story on their instagram that struck home to me. It was in regards to national food day, and told of a woman from Ethiopia. Her and her daughter hadn't eaten in days. They only had some tea to share with the man who told the story. You should read it! They also shared a story about the production of pork, and how Americans dispose of 40% of what they purchase. That is so sad when there are 1 billion starving people in the world. My feelings on this topic are as follows...

The other day I was at dinner with my family in Sizzler and I was flabbergasted at the spectacle. So much food. Buffets of food. All you can eat. And you want to know what I thought about? I thought about my daughter, Atley, emaciated and dying from malnutrition. I don't care how dramatic that sounds to you. It is a genuine concern of mine. I find some of your concerns dramatic and useless, so please give me the same courtesy of listening.

I don't know what it would be like to survive on a half a cup of rice a week. Do you?

Do you even care?

There are STARVING people in the world. Google images if you need proof. If you don't like to think about it, and prefer not to educate yourself on it, then at least find a cause to be passionate about...instead of just living your life all about you. There's a reason our world is going down the crap shoot. And it's because of ignorant humans who don't care or don't want to care about those who are suffering.

Here's a confession. I've been accused of having an eating disorder before, and, aside from some experimental bouts every girl goes through in high school, I've never suffered a text book eating disorder. I can see why people assume this though, because I'm a small person and I take pride in being in shape. But I eat clean so I can enjoy a pan of brownies on the weekend. True story. Do you see my bones? Are my teeth rotting and brown? Is my hair falling out? No. Not even close. And I'm not in denial, you can see pictures of my body under my health and fitness tab to back it up. My cellulite alone will prove I am eating all the essential nutrients I need, in addition to some I don't! The reason why some people think I struggle with a body image is because I'm extremely particular about what I put in my mouth. For some reason, they take time out of their life to be concerned with what and how I eat. There's a couple reasons why I am the way I am. First, I love fitness. I believe my body is a temple. (Get your giggles out now) but really, I take divine care of it. I always try to be in pristine health. That includes diet and exercise. Ice cream and fast food has never been ideal nutrition. The second reason is I can't stand the idea of eating stuff that starving children cant. I cannot waste food!! I would rather pass up a meal than throw half of it away. This is a motto I have lived by for as long as I can remember. Ever since I became passionate about this feed the hungry cause I have had a real sensitivity to gluttony and food waste. I even get a little miffed by people who don't drink tap water...because they think it tastes funny. I want ship them to a country where there is no running water. Period.

Americans have by far the greatest freedoms of any nation. We are the richest and the most well-fed, well-educated and most fortunate, in all the world. And yet, we have so much complaint, so much food waste, so much waste in general.

For me, the sensitivity is heightened around food. I CANNOT STAND the idea of wasted food. IT LITERALLY eats at my skin. It makes my insides churn. I wish there was some way I could pack up each scrap of food and ship it to Africa. Sadly, the food would never make it to these beautiful starving children. Do you know why? You should study a little about the continent and their authority figures and maybe educate yourself on world issues. If I had the means for travel, I would fly to Africa and volunteer in orphanages, and I would give them everything I own. Again, sadly, it isn't even safe to travel there right now. This breaks my heart. There are countries with innocent people who are suffering and dying and we can't do much about it.

Here's what I can do. I do the best I can in every day life not to waste. Next to food, I try not to waste any object, material, electronic, item of clothing, or tool that I may be able to use or change into something else. My dad taught me that anything broken can be fixed, and if not it can be used to fix something else. I learned not to waste at a young age and to never take for granted all of the things I have. The more I learn about third world countries, the more passionate I become about waste management. Not only does it save me money, but it makes me feel better that I am not throwing away something a hungry child would fight for.

There's a reason gluttony is one of the 7 deadly sins. I truly think it destroys something in the soul that keeps humans humble and thankful. I try so very hard not to be a glutton over anything (although I come close when it comes to shoes) and I definitely shove my face with as much food as I can anytime I have a meal. I see the faces of these little children every time I go to restaurants, or amusement parks, or fairs, or anywhere you can find large quantities of food. I wish there was a way our country could do more about the starving communities in the world, that way we as people could be more involved. I understand there are politics, which is why I do my part here in my small hometown. It is a cause I will always be a part of.

I encourage you to find a cause and give to it this week. Oh, and lick your plate clean 😊